4/10/2008

Locks of Love

There are so many choices today as a parent. Is music important? Should kids be in clogging, ballet or would violin or piano be best, or should your kids be involved in many different activities with every minute of their time solidly scheduled? Soccer, tennis, t-ball and swimming lessons during summer break. Then there’s the question of schooling? Charter schools, private school, public school, private tutors or heaven forbid, home schooling. The choices all seem to have their merits and I find myself questioning many of my decisions. I am relatively certain that our girls are pretty well rounded. They genuinely seem concerned for others and do well at things that they are interested in.

One decision that I will not question was a recent decision to help the girls donate their hair to the Locks of Love Foundation. The girls were so excited that they could go on the website and see kids that needed help. I was proud of them for wanting to give something so personal. They unselfishly cut off 12 inches of their hair, we put it in a baggy and sent it to a child that will appreciate it more than, in my opinion, the girls will ever understand. Today, I can say that I am glowing with the pride that I feel for these wonderful girls that have shown such kindness to their fellow man. Some lessons can’t be taught in lessons or schools but only by a quiet kindness of giving something priceless to an unknown person in need.

No comments: